Saturday, December 28, 2013

Robert Ridgway Thomson, Physical Education

Mr. Robert Thomson divided time between Stockton School and Columbian School as the physical education teacher. He was affectionately known as "Mr. T" and many former students, even those who did not feel confident in PE, remember him as a caring and encouraging teacher.


Photo above and text below from the 1934 Panzer College yearbook


Below the 1934 Panzer College class prophecy (prediction) about Mr Thomson's whereabouts 10 years after graduation (1944). In a previous annual, Mr Thomson is listed as being from New Paltz, NY.

"Our trip is nearly complete except for two of my "cronies." "Prof." Thomson is a gym instructor in New Paltz High School and the champion of the cause of heavy apparatus and tumbling. In spite of the inability of his pupils to execute a one-hand stand, he still retains the old sense of humor."

Robert R Thomson retired to Orlando FL in 1968 and died there in 1997: 

ROBERT RIDGWAY THOMSON, 90, 1442 Pebble Beach Blvd., Orlando, died Saturday, May 10. Mr. Thomson was a physical education instructor. Born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., he moved to Central Florida in 1968. He was a member of the Orlando Area Theatre Organ Society. Survivors: wife, Lois M.; daughters, Carole J. Rose, Norristown, Pa., Carol Dickman, Inverness; two grandchildren. American Family Cremation Society.


                                    Below: the badminton team in the 1932 Panzer College yearbook

Above: gymnastic team in 1932 yearbook
                                            Below: staff of the Springboard (newspaper) 1932

Below: a certificate signed by Mr. Thomson and Principal Shelly awarded to a Stockton student in Spring, 1959 (image courtesy of Seth McQuillan)



Ashland Oval



Below: Nov. 17, 1922, New York Tribune



As a tribute to long time Mayor Martens, in 1952 Ashland Stadium, where school games and events are held, was renamed Martens Stadium.


Thomas Edison








Above: Glenmont, Home of Thomas Alva Edison in Llewellyn Park, West Orange

Glenmont is located in Llewellyn Park, West Orange, the first romantically designed, planned residential community in the United States. The community was developed in the 1850's by Llewellyn Haskell, who had acquired 350 acres in West Orange, New Jersey, about fifteen miles from New York City. The architect Alexander Jackson Davis landscaped the park, which grew to 700 acres by the 1870's.


A Queen Anne style mansion with 29 rooms, Glenmont was designed by the architect Henry Hudson Holly. Edison purchased the Glenmont estate – 13.5 acres including house, barn, greenhouse, and furnishings –in January of 1886 for $125,000, half its estimated value.