Sunday, October 14, 2012

East Orange Churches in the Early 20th Century

Above and below: Arlington Avenue Presbyterian Church at the NW corner of North Arlington Avenue and Springdale Avenue

Above and below: Disciples of Christ Church at the corner of 17th St and Park Avenue

Below: The earlier Disciples of Christ Church on a postcard postmarked 1908

                                            Above: Christ Church (Episcopal) on Main Street

Below: Brick Church

Below: Saint Johns Chapel (organized in 1851)

 Above and below: Sanford Street Methodist Episcopal Church; the church was on the west side of Sanford near the Central Avenue/Sanford Street intersection and was built between 1895 and about 1905.

                                         Above and below: Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church

              Above: the church with its front addition that was built between 1904 and 1911

                                           Below: the church before the addition

Above: Hawthorne Avenue Baptist Church

Above and below: Park Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church at the NW corner of the Park Avenue/North Grove Street intersection

The church was organized in 1882

Above: First Church of Christ Scientist, 154 North Oraton Parkway

Below: Sacred Heart Cathedral in center distance as seen from the Lincoln-Mayflower Building in 1922 (not East Orange, but only a mile from Stockton School)

Below: Bethel Presbyterian Church on the NW corner of Midland Avenue and Dodd Street 

St. Paul's on the NE corner of Prospect and Renshaw

                  Above: Trinity Congregational Church on South Harrison Street; built about 1893

Below: original Trinity Congregational Church on South Harrison built about 1872; Brick Church on Main                                                    Street can be seen in left background

No comments:

Post a Comment