The houses built in the neighborhood were of various Victorian styles on narrow, deep lots. Some had their own driveways but many shared a driveway or had none. Bay windows were often part of the architecture to catch as much sunlight and ventilation as possible. Our house (built between 1890 and 1895) at 145 William St facing Stockton Place* still had much of its original architectural detail in 1959 but eventually succumbed to the vinyl siding revolution.
*Stockton Place was originally named N. 21st St when it was laid out between 1890 and 1895 and was renamed Stockton Place between 1905 and 1911. Vernon Terrace was originally laid out as N. 22nd St and was renamed Vernon Terrace before 1904.
Above: 145 William St, 1959